Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor

We had roof repairs carried out last May (ridge tiles to be

We had roof repairs carried out last May (ridge tiles to be rebedded, chimney stack repointed & gutters cleaned), for which we paid £1,000.00. We started to find pieces of grouting on the drive, & on closer inspection can see that the ridge tiles were not rebedded. We have a velux window on the rear roof & can see that the chimney stack is a bodged job, & grouting has only been skimmed over the original ridge tiles. We got the roofer from a 'Trust a trader' web site. We have asked the company to come & inspect their work, but to date no-one has attended. We would like to have advice on our next course of action.
Sylvia Cowles

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with your question today.

What is the cost of putting it right?

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
I don't know that answer yet, but possibly another £1,000.00

You need to get quotes to put this right - this forms your loss.

You need to write and set out your losses and request they do the work or a refund of the cost of putting it right within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value, you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.