Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I am really in a very peculiar situation and looking for

Hi , I am really in a very peculiar situation and looking for some advice; I looked at a brand new house with an estate agent who done my tenant with the landlord and I was supposed to move in on February 5 2018; I was asked to come to their estate agent and collect the keys as a new tenant I do not know how that works but I went there and collected the keys , which were all wrong I did not get a few keys which delayed my moving in and to my knowledge there should be someone or a welcome pack at the property to show of all the equipment are working and everything in place but none of the investors check was done nor any agent came with me to check and show me of all the equipment are working like gas water heating electricity . And now when I moved into the house and bare in mind it’s my first day at the property and I wasn’t given the right keys after one week follow up I got some keys rest still outstanding and now when I turned the thermostat it wouldn’t work , the boiler was showing some error gas had. I connection and there was no heating in the house . None of these essentials checks were done by the estate agent and after everyday following up they actually haven’t started the main gas for us at all and this all was resolved after 6 weeks ; I have clearly sent them an email saying that nothing has been organised from their end and even none of the manuals or guides were left for us and I won’t be paying any rent untill all of this sorted . Where do I stand in this scenario as it’s not I was already a tenant and than things stopped working it was my first day entering the house and none of the basic checks were done by the estate agents or the landlord and I am
Heavily pregnant the whole situation went for 6weeks so as a tenant what right do I have can I tell them I won’t pay rent for this 6 weeks as they haven’t given us the property in a lovable condition? Please kindly help me

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with your question today. I am reviewing it, please give me a moment.

Just to be clear there is no gas?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Also I like to add for the 6 weeks I couldn’t cook as no gas no heating no hot water so I clearly also told them I won’t be starting the contract untill everything is sorted as I paid a big fees to the estate agent and they haven’t done their duties from their end as it was both landlords and estate agents responsibility to actually check if everything is working and do some inventory check while giving me the keys and not just give me a keys for a house where nothing works and still make me liable to pay the rent

I will call shortly. Will show as withheld

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 http://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/hmctsformfinder/n1-eng.pdf and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value, you would need representation for trial.