ivorylounge
ivorylounge,
Experience:  Barrister at Self Employed Barrister
27487359

What are the consequences of being technically uninsured for

What are the consequences of being technically uninsured for driving a car in the event of a claim against me

It’s illegal to drive a vehicle on a road or in a public place without at least 3rd party insurance.

The police could give you a fixed penalty of £300 and 6 penalty points if you’re caught driving a vehicle you’re not insured to drive.

If the case goes to court you could get an unlimited fine and disqualification.

You would be liable potentially for all of the legal costs and damages including personal injury should there be a claim made against you from an accident. If there is a personal injury the costs could be thousands and thousands of pounds.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am insured to drive my car but not for business use and I'm worried that my use of the car could be classed as buisness

Ok. That is always a risk but you can notify the insurance company and seek this additional cover.

Could you please select 3, 4 or 5 stars on this page. I can still answer follow up questions if needed to clarify anything for you. Many thanks

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The claim against me is already being made

And what have they said?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
My insurance company haven't yet mentioned anything about buisness use,they have said they are going to see if they have any chance of arguing against the claim

I see. Thats very positive that they are arguing for you on this.