How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 11060
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

I've just bought a sencond hand car from a large dealers in

This answer was rated:

I've just bought a sencond hand car from a large dealers in Doncaster. I have paid £249.17 to have the car completely stain guarded inside and out. On returning home I tested a small patch to see how effective it is and I was shocked to find the water soaked straight through the fabric instead of the 'beading' that should occur and that was demonstrated in the show room.
I've rung an independent scotch guard company who have advised me without even seeing the car that it has not been treated. They will happily write a covering letter after seeing the vehicle if needed and shown to be correct should I need it.
I asked the sales man twice on the day of collection if the stain guard had been applied, he didn't answer directly but made a huge fuss of giving me a free back up tin of stain guard and told me it's always a good idea to do it again once I get home.
I don't trust them now and wondered if I'm in my legal right to ask for a full refund for the treatment as I don't want to go back as it's a great inconviemce, travel, time off work etc. Originally They told me the car would be ready on a certain day and when I got there to collect, they said it wasn't till the follow day and they'd forgotten to phone me. So, as you can imagine, I would prefer a refund.
Many thanks,

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with your question today. I am reviewing it, please give me a moment.

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value, you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for that, so it's better to send a recorded letter through the post, rather than an email?
Many thanks for your prompt response.

Yes recorded letter far better.

Does that assist?

Jamie-Law and other Law Specialists are ready to help you