How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 11075
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

I sold my farm in2005 for a large profit- nearlyI am retired

This answer was rated:

I sold my farm in2005 for a large profit- nearly(###) ###-####I am retired and have not worked for 10 years or needed to complete a tax return . I do not own a property any more - I live with my daughter. I have just received a tax return form . I rang up and was told this is because of capital gains tax . I was never told this do I have to pay.? Susie Goodson age 67 plum Hill farm stunts gn Herstmonceux Hailsham E Sussex tel :07979813137 Thank you so much.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with your question today. I am reviewing it, please give me a moment.

I assume it was being run as a business?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I had a livery yard( horses) but it was so small I never reached the tax level- just a few friends kept their horses there and payed for their food

Were you earning money from it though?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was a private family home No I didn’t run any thing there as a business

Ok. Then there should be no capital gains tax payable, assuming it was your primary residence

I would suggest you complete the return and send it back.

If there is an investigation then you can instruct an accountant to deal with HRMC for you,

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The only other thing is that it was 40acres on the phone the lady sai that youmust only have a certain amount of land Is this so please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was my only residence

Yes. There is a limit, which changes over time. The rules change year on year.

But you can dispose of a certain amount. Over this then that excess may be considered a business. But you can still convince HRMC otherwise.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well I don’t quite understand but I will send back the return .Thank you very much- can I call when I hear? Free? I will certainly give you a 5 star review

of course. All the best. If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today, by clicking on the 5 stars or happy face at the top of the screen, otherwise the site does not pay me for the time spent with you today. It is also an important part of the online process. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost. Thank you in advance and good luck!

Jamie-Law and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Please get your account dept to reimburse me the second amount of 38 pounds that they took from my account only a few days after the first . I keep getting email after email from you- please desist I am beginning to regret ever contacting you especially asi still do not know how to fill in my forms- you were unable to fully answer my question


Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok thank you but are they reimbursing me.?

I have referred it to customer services for you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you I do expect a response or I will complain

I have referred it

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you

No problem

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you