Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

We have just rented a property in Lincolnshire. We took

Hi there we have just rented a property in Lincolnshire. We took possession 26th Feb. We informed the Agent we would not be moving in until end of March however. When we arrived to drop some personal effects off last week the house had suffered a burst water pipe and had flooded a good proportion of the house downstairs including a collapsed ceiling. At the time of signing the water was on, but the boilers were not working partly due to the previous tenant leaving no oil in the tanks and partly one boiler didn't work at all. The Landlord is now asking us to claim on our Contents insurance for the replacement of carpets caused by the burst water pipe. The Tenancy agreement states we only need to insure our personal effects. We haven't even moved into the house as yet. The boiler has been fixed as of yesterday but the cooker doesn't work (oil fired Rayburn). The Landlord has offered to put in a freestanding electric cooker into the utility room not the main kitchen!

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with your question today. I am reviewing it, please give me a moment.

Just to be clear, did it damage any of your belongings?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No we hadn't moved in so no personal effects were there

Ok. Then you don’t need to claim anything. That is for the landlord.

He should have his own cover. So it’s not for you, but him. It is nothing to do with you.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you that's fine much appreciated

No problem. Can I help with anything else today?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Are we within our rights to ask for a rent reduction whilst works are carried out? 4 out of the 11 rooms are unusable

Yes you can. It should be proportionate.

Does that clarify ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you yes that's great

All the best. If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today, by clicking on the 5 stars or happy face at the top of the screen, otherwise the site does not pay me for the time spent with you today. It is also an important part of the online process. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost. Thank you in advance and good luck!