31090051

You answered a question back in August 2017 and was very

Hi,You answered a question back in August 2017 and was very helpfull."My mother in law invested some money in barn conversion on my land in the UK and lived in the conversion for approximately 2 years until she got fed up and wanted to move. This was 7 years ago at the time in 2010 I tried to sell with her but every thing I proposed she rejected i.e. cash settlements,buy her a house etc. The last contact was 2010. She has been paying rent in her new property at £13K per year. Can she still make a claim against me no contract was written between us. Is the some sort of expiry in the law for financial transactions?"It has been 7 years and I just want to check i.e. the law of limitation act 1980 or any other way they could make a claim as I intend to sell the property in the next couple of months.As mentioned the title to the propery is my my name there was no contract between me and my mother-n-law.Could she claim for some value in the land value the property sits on etc. I just do not want an injunction on the sale coming out of the blue!Thanks,Mark

Thanks for your question. I remember this from before. If no proceedings have been raised in court and no charge was taken on the property any claim she had against you is time barred. I hope that answers your question. Happy to discuss further. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** were raised in court and no charge taken plus this was 7 years ago. Could an injunction be raised by my mother-in-law?

She could apply for one but it would be easily resisted given that any proceedings for payment would be time barred.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
I sorry to disturb you again but I spoke to 2 solicitors this week and both have said if I sold the property my mother-in-law could make a claim based on the 1996 Trust of land statute as she has invested £215K so she has a financial interest in the property.They also said the 1980 limitation act does not guard against this.I am totally confused here.

I don’t agree. There is no kind of express or implied trust here.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Many thanks have a great weekend.