How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35574
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My wife of 3 years has decided she wants to leave me, we

This answer was rated:

My wife of 3 years has decided she wants to leave me, we have an 18 month old baby together. We have lived in Saudi since we were married and I work here. My wife has never work since we got married. My concern is I have a mortgage for a house I bought 11 years ago before we met. All the bills are in my name and she’s never paid anything towards the house. Where do I stand with the house. If we divorce will she get it. Also I would like to know if I have to still provide for her or just my baby boy

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

What income do you each have and who currently lives in the Uk property?

How much is it worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
My wife does not work and has never work since we got married.I earn roughy £76000 which includes bonus.The house is probably worth £130000
And there is £117000 remaining
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Also that wage based on current exchange rate. As I get paid in SAR.We were using the house as a holiday home. We use it when we visit uk 4 times a year and the rest it’s empty

What earning capacity does your wife have?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
What do you mean. As what type of job could she get

Yes - what could she earn if she worked?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Well she doesn’t have any qualifications. The only jobs she has had is working at McDonald’s and working in a cafe

Does she wish to return to the Uk?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
she will be returning to England

Then I am afraid yes she will be able to return to the property in the UK and is likely to be awarded that as part of the settlement as the safe and secure housing of the child until the child is 18.

In terms of maintenance you will certainly have to pay child maintenance (think 12% of your gross income) and a limited term of Spouse maintenance (which may be simply continuing to pay the mortgage

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details

Clare and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am also paying maintenance for another child. And that is £400
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
A month