Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I’m looking for help with an issue I have just faced for the

Hello,I’m looking for help with an issue I have just faced for the first time. I am a freelance makeup artist, I was recently booked by a beauty company for a photoshoot, after we agreed what my payment and all the details for the shoot they then asked me to go to their office for a meeting to meet everyone involved in the shoot before hand, I wasn’t going to be paid for this meeting so I asked them to at least cover my travel expenses, they agreed. This would also take 3 hours out of my day as the location of their office is not local to me, but as I was booked for the shoot I agreed to go, I had asked for a phone call or email with details but they declined.
On the week of when the meeting was due there’s was a bad storm and I could not get to my clients because of the conditions and they could not get to me, this created a huge back log for me and I had to re schedule 15 clients, due to this I was going to struggle to make the meeting, so I emailed to ask if it would be possible to move the meeting to another date - still being before the photo shoot.
I never got a reply, I waited a couple of days and sent another message, still no reply.
When I eventually did the lady I had been communicating with and who booked me for the shoot said that because I emailed to reschedule the meeting the day before they decided not to go ahead with our agreement and sourced another makeup artist, this has had a big effect on my business has I have been turning work and jobs away due to being booked for the above.
I didn’t take a deposit from them or sign any contracts, is there any thing I can do?
Any help would be appreciated.Thank you, leanne

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with your question today. I am reviewing it, please give me a moment.

Do you have it in writing they accepted?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I do

Ok. Then technically this is a contract which they have broken.

You need to write and set out your losses and request a payment within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not pay you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 http://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/hmctsformfinder/n1-eng.pdf and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value, you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
That’s great, thank you for your help.

A pleasure.