Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I just want to know what will happen to me at court. I have

Hi, I just want to know what will happen to me at court. I have been arrested and chargerged with beating my partner. My partner said there was no physical attack but her daughter (25) gave a statement saying i hit her with a wine glass. This is totally untrue ! She has just come out of a 4 year domestically violent relationship and thinks that this may have skewed her idea of what she saw. My partner and her daughter have both retracted their statements but I see on here that it may not be possible. I am currently not allowed in my own home and not allowed to contact either of them. There has never been any police called to our home for any reason and absolutely no domestic violence.
Assistant: Where are you located? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I am in liverpool but this happened in carlisle
Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I dont know what that means. I have been charged.
Assistant: Anything else you want the solicitor to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, that is it as far as i know

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with your question today. I am reviewing it, please give me a moment.

Are you pleading guilty or not guilty?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am pleading not guilty and taking it to crown court. I will not admit to something i did not do.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My partner suffered no injuries or anything, because it did not happen.

You can’t go to crown court for common assault. I assume that is what the charge is, assault by beating?

The matter will be set down for a trial and the magistrates will decide whether you are guilty or not guilty.

You can get her to give evidence on your behalf.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
even though they have no physical evidence and the people who made statements have decided to retract, I can still be found guilty ?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I cannot take it to a higher court ?

Unlikely you would be found guilty. No, you can’t take it to crown court as it is summary only meaning magistrates court only.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hmm. Probably does clarify but I guess its not the answer I was looking for. Would you recommend getting a solicitor or should i use a duty solicitor ? I am 200 miles from my home and dont know what to do. Is it reasonable to try and get a solicitor over the phone or just go for one on the day ?

You can use duty, that is fine. The first hearing will be plea only.

The second hearing will be trial.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
2nd hearing ? Does that mean I will have to go back ? The bail conditions will still apply and I cannot go home ? This is turning into a nightmare, I work from home and this is making it impossible. If I plead not guilty this means that they will need a 2nd hearing ? What do you consider my best course of action please ? I need this to be sorted as soon as possible but I cannot admit to something I did not do.

Bail conditions stay unless lifted or you are found not guilty.

Yes, if you plead not guilty there will be a second hearing.

The first hearing is not the trial.

You should consider a public access barrister to represent you.

You can find one at

Www.clerksroomdirect.com

Www.mybarrister.co.uk

Does that assist?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok thank you. Am i correct that I will be billed only once for this service ? I do not have to cancel a subscription or anything ?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Are you still there ? Do i need to cancel anything ?