How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35574
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Who is liable for unpaid Council tax of someone who had

This answer was rated:

Who is liable for unpaid Council tax of someone who had died?

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

Was anyone else living in the property and what was the extent of the deceased's estate?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No - no-one living in property, it was a housing association warden assisted flat.
Her bank account had £341.87. Her Funeral care plan was £1470. 00. Her Direct Cremation was £1600.00.
Removal of items from the property- £280.00 - she had taken another flat nearer her relatives, but died 1 day later.
The council from Flat 1 have passed the debt on to debt collectors, who are threatening jail sentence & were very intimidating
The Council for Flat 2 - also housing association, but a different county - have quashed all debts. I am the executor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also have limited finance - can't afford a solicitor but need some help Extra money for a phone call is adding to my already mounting debt sorry.

I am sorry about the site popups - sadly I cannot control them!

Since there was no money in the estate the debt simply dies with the deceased.

You should write to the Council with the details you have set out above - backed up by the statements.

If the debt collectors approach you again call the police!

Please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I eventually paid the debt collectors (£271.00) as they were so intimidating and frightening, and actually reluctant to even send me a proper receipt for the Deceased records, so if I send that receipt and their original written demand to the Council, I may ( but probably not) get it refunded. The Council involved will be having a big complaint letter.
Thank you for your help. Got a bit more peace of mind now

You are entitled to the money back - and can sue them for it to be returned - remember to put those in the letter!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you - I'm beginning to feel almost as evil as the debt collectors were to me.
Thank you for you help

You are most welcome let that evil out!

Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you