Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

A disgruntled client has left a 1* review on my business’

A disgruntled client has left a 1* review on my business’ Facebook page. Although we do not agree with the review we have responded professionally. 20 of her friends who have never been clients of ours have now left 1* reviews in the space of six hours referencing their friends grievance. To put this in to perspective we have only had six 1* reviews in the last five years. Is there anything legally we can do about this?

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with your question today. I am reviewing it, please give me a moment.

i assume you know who has done it?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
we do.

You need to write and ask them to get others to remove or say you will go to court. You can’t remove the customer rating if it is an opinion.

If they don’t get the others to remove you can issue proceedings.

You would need to complete form n1

https://formfinder.hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/n1-eng.pdf

Seek an order that the other reviews are removed.

If they refuse this could be contempt of court. Which they may be warned, fined or sent to prison.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you. Although the original customer’s review is factually incorrect, this I can live with, it’s the now 25 other people which I think are unfairly harming my business. Does it make a difference that some of thes client’s friends who have reviewed are in other countries beside the UK. Also is it only the original customer I must contact and if I don’t have her mailing address can I write to her electronically?

No, that’s ok. But you will need the address to serve proceedings.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
if I don’t have her physical address there’s not much I can do? May I ask what law she has broken in asking her friends to carry out the actions they have (in order to reference it in my first letter)?

Sadly not, as proceedings have to be physically issued. This can’t be done electromically

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
May I ask what law she has broken in asking her friends to carry out the actions they have (in order to reference it in my first letter)?

It is posting something which is untrue. It is a civil matter, not criminal.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
In that respect could you clarify an outline of this letter for me please. I.e should I just say ask your friends to remove the reviews or I’ll take you to court? Also as I mentioned before it is not so much untrue, it’s the fact that people who have had no experience of my business are leaving 1* reviews referencing her alleged experience.

Correct. Thanks it. They are not even your customers! Clearly this person has asked them to leave these falsehoods.

Does that assist?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I’m sorry I’m still a little confused. If I cannot outright prove her review is a lie, is it still wrong for her to ask her friends to harm the reputation of my business without them ever having experienced it. (She has basically asked them to copy and paste her review)

Her review, you can't do anything about.

The friends reviews then yes. They have not had anything done by your service and have no personal knowledge.

So their can be removed.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you Jamie. So basically she can be held accountable for her friends actions because she has obviously encouraged them to do so?

Correct.

If not I would appreciate a 5 star rating for my answer. If you need more help, you can ask follow up questions for free and I would be delighted to assist. Thanks!

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Many thanks.

All the best.