Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

We have savings in Ireland with the Credit Union and have

we have savings in Ireland with the Credit Union and have been trying to get our money out since 2009 - we have been in contact with a solicitor and also the ombudsman - who are suppose to the dealing with this but a year is approaching fast and we still can not get any money as apparently Credit union keep promising to send funds and haven't.
We do we stand!!

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am your Expert and I will provide the answer you require.

1. Dear *****, after a year of waiting for your money, the sooner you get legal proceedings issued against the Credit Union in Ireland seeking the delivery up of your money, the better. The Credit Union clearly has solvency problems, so you should not let matters lie any longer.

2. So, you should get your solicitor in Ireland to issue legal proceedings as a matter of urgency. There is no point in waiting for someone else to act to get the Credit Union to release the money. You essentially need to sue or be prepared to forget about the monies.

3. Be aware that since the property crash in Ireland in 2009, very many Credit Unions have had solvency problems. This is the reason they are not willing to pay out monies without legal proceedings being issued against them. Essentially, the Credit Union hopes to avoid liquidation by refusing to pay out monies to the deposit holders. So, there is likely to be a long wait if you don't sue as well as the likelihood that you won't get all your money if the Credit Union gets liquidated.

4. Please Rate or Accept the answer as unless you do so your Expert will not receive payment from the website for answering your question.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I was told that the solicitor in Ireland had taken them to court and I was also told that the ombudsman had taken them to court by my husband but I am not sure this is correct - so thank you for your help - I will take it forward.

5. If the solicitor had taken the Credit Union to court, then why weren't you present when the case was litigated and if so, where is your money?? Additionally, if the Ombudsman has taken the Credit Union to court, where is your money also? The bot***** *****ne is that if the Credit Union were sued and the case was in court, why don't you have your money? A Credit Union cannot just keep a depositor's money. So, something is not quite right here. Some facts of the account you have given me are not correct.