Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I have a 6 month lease on a house in the UK that ends at the

Hi, I have a 6 month lease on a house in the UK that ends at the end od April but I am leaving after 5 months at the end of March. The landlord has already started moving some of his stuff back into the garage. Is there anyway to get the extra month paid back or can I just be pig headed and say that I have signed the lease until the end of April so if they don't refund me April's rent technically the property is still mine and they cannot move in until the 1st of May?

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with your question today. I am reviewing it, please give me a moment.

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 http://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/hmctsformfinder/n1-eng.pdf and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value, you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi JamieJust a question, would it be actually worth my while as I am moving back to South Africa next Friday. The rent is £890 and the deposit is £1200 which I assume they will hold back until all this is over.

Yes. They can not scam you.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
If you give me a call that would be great

I will call shortly, will show as withheld.