How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35058
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My partner wants out of our relationship. This will leave me

Customer Question

My partner wants out of our relationship . This will leave me homeless. I'm 63 years old
We have been together 8 years and were engaged to be married
We have lived together for around 5 1/2 years
Please help as I don't know what to do. We are living in Somerset and I moved from Gloucester to be with him
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Law
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Clare replied 19 days ago.

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

Who owns the property that you live in?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
My ‘ex’
Expert:  Clare replied 18 days ago.

Where were you living prior to moving in - and what financial contribution have you made to the property?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I was living in Gloucester
I pay £300 a month (I am not working) said money is from my savings plus pay halt of shopping bills
I do all decorating as house is a new build and have worked hard at this for the past year
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I have paid for decorating and furnishings for two bedrooms and paid half for blinds in six windows
I have lent him 33k which he has promised to pay me back
Expert:  Clare replied 17 days ago.

Sorry - did you own your own property in Gloucester?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
No l did not own my own property in Gloucester
Expert:  Clare replied 15 days ago.

Ok - who did own the place you were living at that time (it is important - I would not ask otherwise)

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
It was a private rental I got through an agent
Expert:  Clare replied 13 days ago.

Thank you for that.

Did he ever promise you that the house was half yours?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
We were to be married!
I can’t remember him actually saying that but I made decisions re the house build , designing kitchen
Ect It was always ‘our’ home even if not said
Expert:  Clare replied 7 days ago.

How much is the property worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
It’s a new build and is very original but at least £500,000 I would think. As far as the mortgage is concerned I’m not sure at all
Expert:  Clare replied 7 days ago.

Has he offered you any kind of settlement?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
No. He has promised to pay me back the money I loaned him to help him pay the builder but no settlement
Expert:  Clare replied 6 days ago.

So you actually contributed towards the building costs?

Will he also compensate you for the items you purchased?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Doubtful as he says the blinds were my idea. He paid half for them. That’s his attitude to anything I’ve purchased
Expert:  Clare replied 6 days ago.

So far as the contents are concerned he either has to repay you what you paid towards them - or let you remove them so that you can sell them and divide the proceeds of the sale between you

Although it is not straightforward the fact that your funds were used towards the building costs means that it can be argued that you have a financial interest in the property and that your ex has to pay you not just the £33,000 but also a "compensation" element

Unfortunately, you have no absolute right to remain in the property - you are only entitled to "reasonable written notice to leave" - at least 28 days, more if you have no funds with which to rehouse yourself

However you should try and discuss matters with your partner using Family mediation

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Clare replied 6 days ago.

You are most welcome I hope all goes well