13262538

My partner wants out of our relationship. This will leave me

My partner wants out of our relationship . This will leave me homeless. I'm 63 years old
We have been together 8 years and were engaged to be married
We have lived together for around 5 1/2 years
Please help as I don't know what to do. We are living in Somerset and I moved from Gloucester to be with him
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

Who owns the property that you live in?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
My ‘ex’

Where were you living prior to moving in - and what financial contribution have you made to the property?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I was living in Gloucester
I pay £300 a month (I am not working) said money is from my savings plus pay halt of shopping bills
I do all decorating as house is a new build and have worked hard at this for the past year
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have paid for decorating and furnishings for two bedrooms and paid half for blinds in six windows
I have lent him 33k which he has promised to pay me back

Sorry - did you own your own property in Gloucester?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No l did not own my own property in Gloucester

Ok - who did own the place you were living at that time (it is important - I would not ask otherwise)

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It was a private rental I got through an agent

Thank you for that.

Did he ever promise you that the house was half yours?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
We were to be married!
I can’t remember him actually saying that but I made decisions re the house build , designing kitchen
Ect It was always ‘our’ home even if not said

How much is the property worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It’s a new build and is very original but at least £500,000 I would think. As far as the mortgage is concerned I’m not sure at all

Has he offered you any kind of settlement?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No. He has promised to pay me back the money I loaned him to help him pay the builder but no settlement

So you actually contributed towards the building costs?

Will he also compensate you for the items you purchased?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Doubtful as he says the blinds were my idea. He paid half for them. That’s his attitude to anything I’ve purchased

So far as the contents are concerned he either has to repay you what you paid towards them - or let you remove them so that you can sell them and divide the proceeds of the sale between you

Although it is not straightforward the fact that your funds were used towards the building costs means that it can be argued that you have a financial interest in the property and that your ex has to pay you not just the £33,000 but also a "compensation" element

Unfortunately, you have no absolute right to remain in the property - you are only entitled to "reasonable written notice to leave" - at least 28 days, more if you have no funds with which to rehouse yourself

However you should try and discuss matters with your partner using Family mediation

www.familymediationcouncil.org.uk

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

You are most welcome I hope all goes well