How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10474
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

I recently asked for an insurance quotation and was told

Customer Question

I recently asked for an insurance quotation and was told that my car insurance would be £100 more expensive because 3 years ago, my car was damaged in a supermarket car park. I was not in the car at the time and the other driver was fully comprehensively insured and admitted liability. No claim was made on my insurance so why am I now being penalised?
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 10 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with your question today. I am reviewing it, please give me a moment.

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 10 months ago.

Has it gone up every year?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have been working overseas for two years so this is the first time I have asked for a quotation. I was told there is effectively a black mark on my record despite my never having caused an accident and even though I was not in the car at the time. I don't see why I should have to pay more because of this. I am already penalised because I cannot use a no claims bonus from an overseas insurer
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 10 months ago.

Ok. Generally people who have had an incident even if not claimed for, insurance is increased.

It is a scam, they just want to charge more.

You need to write and set out your complaint. They may of course say that £100 is increased insurance anyway as inflation and more claims.

They will investigate and come back to you. If they do not uphold the complaint you can then go to the financial ombudsman,

They regulate these people and can consider your complaint for free at

That should resolve it.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.