How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10460
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

Im after some advice. i am renting out a property ,but the

Customer Question

Hi im after some advice. i am renting out a property ,but the client has not paid any rent for three months .they do not have a tenancy agreement as they are a friend .how can i get arrears in rent ,and how can i evict them asap .Thank you
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 10 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with your question today. I am reviewing it, please give me a moment.

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 10 months ago.

Have you served any notices? Is there a deposit or anything?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
N deposit hv not done anything only text . Don't know what to do with out braking the law.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 10 months ago.

Ok - you need to serve a notice to quit.

Serve a S.8 notice.

You can find a template here:

If they do not pay up within 2 weeks then you can seek a Court order for possession.

You can do this online at:

Or download form N5:

And N119:

The Court will list for hearing and decide whether to give possession.

If the Court does and they refuse to move out, then you can instruct bailiffs.

You can not and must not evict without a Court order and it must be by certified bailiffs.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

If not I would appreciate a 5 star rating for my answer. If you need more help, you can ask follow up questions for free and I would be delighted to assist. Thanks!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your help
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 10 months ago.

No problem. If I could ask you to rate before you leave please. Thanks