How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6754
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

I rented an apartment for 2 years and opted to leave at the

Customer Question

I rented an apartment for 2 years and opted to leave at the end of my tenancy. My landlord really wanted me to stay but I refused to because I was unhappy with the way the property was managed.I was given three set of keys during the tenancy and I lost one set of keys just before I was due to hand in the keys to the property.The landlord now wants to change the keys to the apartment and the keys to the main door which would mean replacing the keys for occupants in 8 different apartments. This is going to cost over 2000 pounds.Changing the keys to the apartment alone will cost 54 pounds the landlord is so petty and vindictive that he wants to cost me my full deposit
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 17 days ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with your question today. I am reviewing it, please give me a moment.

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 17 days ago.

Was the deposit protected?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
the deposit was protected.My apartment was burgled 3 weeks before I moved out. The main door was compromised and only my apartment was broken into. The landlord was the only one who knew that I was away the weekend I was burgled because he wanted to come and speak with me in person to beg me to stay in the property. I told him I was away that weekend.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 17 days ago.

I do not think it is reasonable. He can just get a key cut. He doesn't need to spend £2,000.

As such you do not need to pay it and you can claim your deposit back (less a key cut).

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value, you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
The landlord is insisting that I am responsible to pay for the replacement of the main security door locks into the block of flats as I have lost a set of keys. This will mean I have to replace the keys of 8 properties. Is this reasonable and am I required by law to do this?My solicitor says I am not liable. I just want a second opinion.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 16 days ago.

You are not liable.

I do not think they are acting reasonably.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I also do not think he is acting reasonably. In fact, I know he is being vindictive because i left the property and did not stay on. But by law, can he still require that I pay for the replacement of all the keys in the apartment block because I lost one set of keys?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 16 days ago.

I would agree. No, he can not argue you replace the whole keys.

It comes down to mitigation.

He has failed to mitigate any loss

Does that assist?

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 9 days ago.

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer 3, 4 or 5 stars before you leave today.

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the bottom of the screen. Please do not forget as it is an important part of the online process! If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost. Thank you.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
The Landlord is now wanting to change only the locks on the door of the actual property and he is claiming it will cost £250
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Can I still dispute this amount as an new set of keys will suffice?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 6 days ago.

Yes, that is correct. You can get quotes yourself. It won't cost £250.

Might I ask you to rate as the site does not pay me until you do. The question does not close and you can ask follow up questions.