Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

My mum was diagnosis of dementia in 2014 but still not to

Customer Question

my mum was diagnosis of dementia in 2014 but still not to bad she wants her flat to be put in my name can I do this
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 3 months ago.

Hi, thanks for your enquiry.

It is not a question of whether you can do it, it is a case of does your Mum wish to do it and if so, whether she has the mental capacity to do so. With any Transfer of property, it is up to the owner of the property to instruct a local Solicitor to sort out the paperwork, as us Solicitors can not accept instructions from anyone other than the owner.

It is therefore up to your Mum to decide if she wishes to transfer the property and if so, she would have to be proactive and speak to a Solicitor. Her Solicitor will want a chat with her and if he feels she knows what she is doing and is not being forced into anything, and that your Mum has the mental capacity, the matter can proceed.

I hope this assists and sets out the general legal position. If so, I would be grateful if you could rate my answer in the top right hand corner of your screen. Kind Regards Al

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
thank you so if she is in sound mind I can
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
no that's it

Hi- yes- if she is of sound mind, there is no reason why she can not transfer the Flat to you.

If I have helped, I would be grateful if you could rate my answer.

Al