How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32426
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I am a structural engineer/surveyor and am looking to close

Customer Question

I am a structural engineer/surveyor and am looking to close down my limited company on retirement. Do i need to to then carry run-off professional indemnity insurance after the company ceases or as it was a limited company, am i safeguarded against future claims.
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Alex J. replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. Have you given out any warranties or guarantees for your work that are older than 6 years? Do you have a professional regulator? Kind regards AJ

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I do not issue warranties or guarantees. I am a chartered member of the institution of civil engineers. To my knowledge The institution do not actually lay down rules as to the conduct of my work but would need to look at this further. As far as i amaware they do not stipulate that I carry P I. Regards. Tom
Expert:  Alex J. replied 10 months ago.

Thank you. Technically a contractual or negligence claim could be brought for up to 6 years from the date of your last job. You may want to consider PI run to cover any personal negligence claims brought against (i.e non contractual ones). Are there any jobs that you may perceive as having an issue? Kind regards AJ