12826847

I am a structural engineer/surveyor and am looking to close

Customer Question

I am a structural engineer/surveyor and am looking to close down my limited company on retirement. Do i need to to then carry run-off professional indemnity insurance after the company ceases or as it was a limited company, am i safeguarded against future claims.
Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. Have you given out any warranties or guarantees for your work that are older than 6 years? Do you have a professional regulator? Kind regards AJ

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I do not issue warranties or guarantees. I am a chartered member of the institution of civil engineers. To my knowledge The institution do not actually lay down rules as to the conduct of my work but would need to look at this further. As far as i amaware they do not stipulate that I carry P I. Regards. Tom
Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 months ago.

Thank you. Technically a contractual or negligence claim could be brought for up to 6 years from the date of your last job. You may want to consider PI run to cover any personal negligence claims brought against (i.e non contractual ones). Are there any jobs that you may perceive as having an issue? Kind regards AJ