Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I am signed off sick for work related stress since Feb 18. I

Customer Question

I am signed off sick for work related stress since Feb 18. I have resigned and my last day is 21st May 18.
The occupational report said I would be ready to go back to work end april on phased return but I've now resigned.
I don't feel able to go in for this period and unsure if doctor will extend sick note if ive resigned and also if my job can have any complaints if I'm on sick leave during my notice period.
Also how it will affect a new job ?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 7 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

How long have you worked for this employer?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have been there almost 3 years.. and my full pay on sick leave finishes a week before my last day.. they have been aware of my problems at work for over a year before..
I go back to my doctors on 22nd April.

OK, thank you for your response. Leave it with me for now and I will review the relevant information and laws and get back to you at the earliest opportunity. There is no need to wait here as you will receive an email when I have responded. Also, please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you.

Many thanks for your patience. It is entirely possible to remain off sick for the whole duration of your notice period. However, to be above board you need to ensure that you have an official fit note which signs you off for that period. If you remain off work without a valid doctor’s note, then that could amount to an unauthorised absence of work and be a misconduct issue, subject to potential disciplinary.

Son the first thing you need to do is try to get a doctor’s note that covers you for the duration of your notice period as that is what would allow you to remain off work until then.

It should not affect a new job, although if you are relying on a reference from the current employer they could potentially mention your sickness absence. Sometimes employers ask previous employer how many days off sick employees have had with them and they could say how long you had been off sick, but that is not a given and they could easily omit it from any reference they give.

I trust this has answered your query. Please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars above - this is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you still need me to clarify anything else, please reply on here and I will assist as best as I can. Thank you

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question? You can either reply on here with a quick ‘Yes, thanks’, or select 3, 4 or 5 stars on this page. I can still answer follow up questions if needed to clarify anything for you. Many thanks

Hello, not sure if you are having trouble seeing my posts? Do you need any further assistance or are you happy with the response to your query? I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks