31090051

Would you kindly advise me on a matter that has arisen. At

Customer Question

Good Morning
Would you kindly advise me on a matter that has arisen.
At the end of March I received a letter from a solicitor stating that they had been asked to administer the estate of my late father`s sister who had recently died. When I phoned the solicitor she told me that she had a signed will which had crossings out and copy written on it ,leaving all her money ( approx. £60,000 ) to various charities., she left nothing to my older brother and myself who she last saw about 70 years ago.
I then got another letter from the solicitor asking me to sign a document stating that although under Intestacy rules I would be entitled to 50% of the estate I agreed to the copy will being sent to the Probate Registry to be proved.
My brother and it seems are the only living blood relatives related to my aunt . Do you you think I should sign the form and let her wishes be carried out, or have my brother and I a legal claim to her estate , and if so what should my next step be ?
Expert:  JGM replied 14 days ago.
The will would normally prevail so you would have no entitlement unless the will was invalid in some way. Can you let me see the letter and document you have been sent. You can sent it to me in confidence to***@******.*** rather than post it online.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Does the fact that the will is marked copy not make it invalid ?
***** *****
Expert:  JGM replied 14 days ago.

Not necessarily. I would have to see this to advise.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I do not have the will. Thank you for your time but I don`t think I wish to persue this matter any further.
***** *****