Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I rent my property and signed a 2 year agreement - the

Customer Question

Hi thereI rent my property and signed a 2 year agreement - the agreement is due to run out in June 2019. I need to move into the catchment area of the senior school that I'd like my son to attend in Sept. The letting agent won't re-market the property until I pay the Landlords letting fee of £750 + VAT. I have tried to negotiate and provide 3 months notice but the letting agent won't budge. Is the letting agent contractually allowed to enfore this cost on me? I can send you my tenancy agreement.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 7 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with your question today. I am reviewing it, please give me a moment.

Does the contract allow for termination?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No, the contract doesn't have a break clause...
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The signal from my phone isn't very good in the office...

So they are saying you can move early but fee is £750 + VAT

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
the reason they are forcing me to pay this cost is because the landlord isn't due to pay the letting fee again until my agreement expires..
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Can they do this, it is enforceable?

Yes they can. In reality, they can keep you there until June 2019

That is because you have signed a contract.

They can technically make you pay rent until June 2019.

So by asking for £750, whilst seems unfair, is reasonable.

I am sorry if this is not the answer you want, nor the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer 3, 4 or 5 stars before you leave today.

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the bottom of the screen. Please do not forget as it is an important part of the online process! If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost. Thank you.