F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

Dear Jo C I have searched the Law Society website for legal

Customer Question

Dear Jo C
I have searched the Law Society website for legal help for a Medical Negligence. claim, amongst other actions, ie Action not taken by police and actions against the police.
Various companies details came up.
I approached those companies but they refuse to help me.
What action can I take against those companies?
Is it a misrepresentation?
But a contract has not yet been entered into.
Is it discrimination? If so what action can I take.
Is it Holding out - to be in business but then refusing to service that client, ie ME.
Please help me.
Pierre Iwan Goj
07704 902 543
Expert:  F E Smith replied 3 months ago.

Hello for clarification - can you explain what you are claiming for please

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
DearCustomer
The above to Jo C Iis self explainitory.
Please read what I have written please.
Is is holding out to be in business and then refusing to service that client, a bit like landlords and land ladies putting up a sign in their guesthouses saying ' no coluoreds, irish or dogs

Any business, including solicitors, are free to take on any client they wish. Any shopkeeper is free to sell an item to any personally wish and to refuse to serve anyone without any reason whatsoever.

Just because someone advertises something for sale or a service doesn’t necessarily mean they have to sell it. That is well settled law.

However just because someone advertises, for example, personal injury legal services does not mean they have to take on any and all personal injury matters that come along.

They can refuse to take one on because it’s too complicated, it’s outside their spread of expertise, they don’t think it has a good chance of success, because they are too busy, for any reason they like provided it is not on any of the statutory grounds of race, sex, religion et cetera et cetera.

If you think it’s one of those grounds, then you are going to have to come up with some proof as to why they have discriminated against you. It’s not sufficient that you may fall into such a category and they didn’t take the case on.

It actually goes further than that and a solicitor is already acting for a client and the matter is not going the way they had hoped, for whatever reason, they are actually able to dismiss the client and tell the client to go to another firm of solicitors. I’m sorry, I know it’s not the answer you wanted.

Can I clarify anything else for you?

I’m happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

Please take a moment to look at the top right hand corner of the page and rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen. It’s important you use the rating service because that gives me credit. It doesn’t just give me a pat on the head! (Although there is an incentive scheme where the more five-star ratings I get, I do actually get a pat on the head! :-)) All you need to do is press Submit. Thank you.

If you still need any point clarifying, I will still reply because the thread does not close.

Best wishes.

FES.