Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I’m a private landlord 6 weeks ago I gave my tenant 6 weeks

Customer Question

Good afternoon
I’m a private landlord 6 weeks ago I gave my tenant 6 weeks notice that we are selling the property my partner and I are going our separate ways
She accepted this and as her rent is paid by the council they have just advised her that I have to give her a section 21 eviction notice
The builders are going in in 14 days and the section 21 takes 6-8 weeks
Where do I stand
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 7 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with your question today. I am reviewing it, please give me a moment.

What type of tenancy does she have please?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It was a short term tenancy which we gave her about 3 yrs ago but when it ran out we never renewed it so it has in fact lapsed

I am sorry but it is bad news. The fact the tenant has been there over 6 months means it is an assured short hold tenancy.

That means you must serve a section 21 notice which must be in the prescribed format.

You can find one here:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/515658/Form_6A_INTERACTIVE_FINAL_Possession_property.pdf

I am sorry to say but the law says you have to serve proper notice And the landlord is entitled to 2 months notice.

I am sorry if this is not the answer you want, nor the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you it’s. Clear as day will get section 21 form
��

Sorry it’s not better news. If I could invite you to rate my service 5 stars before you go! Thanks,

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer 3, 4 or 5 stars before you leave today.

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the bottom of the screen. Please do not forget as it is an important part of the online process! If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost. Thank you.