Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

My horse went on loan to someone 3 months ago when my yard

Customer Question

My horse went on loan to someone 3 months ago when my yard was flooded. She now says if I want her back I have to pay her £2000 in livery fees! There was no livery agreement and only a verbal loan agreement. She’s says if I don’t pay within 28 days of her saying this that the horse will become legally hers. Is this true?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 5 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Did this person notify you of any charges prior to you agreeing to loan your horse?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Sorry I can’t afford to call
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She was hoping I would sell her to her. I considered it when I had nowhere to go but she couldn’t afford it. I made no commitment to sell. She said she’d like to have her there anyway to help her get her confidence back. She also has found a sharer for her who pays and has contract till June so she is being used.

OK no problem at all and thank you for your response. Leave it with me for now and I will review the relevant information and laws and get back to you at the earliest opportunity. There is no need to wait here as you will receive an email when I have responded. Also, please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you.

Apologies for not getting back to you sooner, I experienced some temporary connection issues and could not get back on the site until now. All appears to be resolved now so I can continue dealing with your query.

There is no law which says the horse will legally become hers after 28 days. In terms of her claiming livery fees, this would depend on what you had agreed in advance. You do not need a formal livery agreement for such fees to apply, as long as you had agreed somehow that you would pay her such fees or at least consider them. If nothing at all was mentioned about fees, there is still a potential that she may be able to charge you for ‘reasonable fees’ unless it was clearly agreed that nothing will be charged or that she did not expect anything from you.

In the end, in the absence of a clear agreement that she was not going to charge you, you may have to pay her something but it would inly be what would be considered reasonable in the circumstances and not necessarily what she is after. In any event, the horse would not belong to her after 28 days, she cannot just claim ownership like that, especially if there is an ongoing dispute in the background relating to it.

I trust this has answered your query. Please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars above - this is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you still need me to clarify anything else, please reply on here and I will assist as best as I can. Thank you

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question? You can either reply on here with a quick ‘Yes, thanks’, or select 3, 4 or 5 stars on this page. I can still answer follow up questions if needed to clarify anything for you. Many thanks

Hello, not sure if you are having trouble seeing my posts? Do you need any further assistance or are you happy with the response to your query? I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hello Ben sorry for delay. Thank you very much. What would the position be if I was able to go and take her back? Could she stop me? Could I ask for Police to accompany me?

As she is your property you can try and get her back but obviously, it needs to be done legally, so do not trespass on property where you have no legal right to be. You can always ask the police to accompany you to keep the peace but they may refuse to and say it is a civil issue that does not need their involvement. Hope this clarifies?