How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35574
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Jo. I just made a will using "The planning crowd". They are

Customer Question

Hello Jo.
I just made a will using "The planning crowd".
They are telling me that if I became unwell and couldn't look after my home and bank account, my children wouldn't be allowed to have access to neither. They told me that I can change this by paying them a little over £300. Isn't there a cheaper way to do this please?
Many thanks in advance
Catherine Cormier
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 10 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you. I am reviewing your question now, and will respond further within a few minutes

Expert:  Clare replied 10 months ago.

Are they trying to sell you a Power of Attorney?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am not savvy at all with this. Is that what it's called? They have told me that if I became ill or unable to look after my affairs, it would take the normal legal system about a year to allow my children to take over. I can see the problem with this. So what can I do? I don't know what a power of attorney does for whom when etc.. How can I make sure my children get access to my finances immediately, should I become incapacited please?
Expert:  Clare replied 10 months ago.

What they are talking about is a Lasting Power of Attorney.

Are your children able to use the internet?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
they are
Expert:  Clare replied 10 months ago.

Then they can create and Register the Lasting Power of Attorney - the forms are here

They can do this immediately - and it will be a great deal cheaper!

Even if you do not it will not take a year for them to sort it out - or anything close.

They will be able to access any benefits with the agreement of Social Services if need be - I am afraid that this company is just using scare tactics

Please ask if you need further details