Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I signed a 12 month rent contract for my daughter as her

I signed a 12 month rent contract for my daughter as her guarantor in 2012. When that contract ran out, she asked the landlord for a new contract but has never been given one. Because I only signed for the first year as guarantor, does this now mean I am no longer responsible as a guarantor? Would appreciate your advice. Thank you.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with your question today. I am reviewing it, please give me a moment.

What does the guarantee say about termination or how long it will be valid for?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am sorry but at the moment I cannot find any paperwork to prove I am or ever was the guarantor

Are you denying you were a guarantor?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I was lead to believe the CAB was a free service. Please forget it. I cannot afford to continue the discussion further. Thank you.

It is a one off fee (unless you have taken a free trial).

I am more than happy to continue?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I paid £38. What does this cover? I'm not denying I'm the guarantor, I just can't find any paper work relating to this at the moment. I just wanted to know after the 12 months is up,, would I still automatically be the guarantor?

Generally, the answer is no, you would still be a guarantor until the tenant moves out.

That is unless the guarantee says otherwise.

You are entitled to ask for a copy.

But generally, you are bound until the tenant moves out. But without knowing what the guarantee actually says, then I am only assuming.

But generally, that is the position.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
OK. Thanks for you assistance.

Happy to help.