Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I have an outstanding "Penalty Fine" for an alleged parking

Hi, I have an outstanding "Penalty Fine" for an alleged parking offence in a private car park. At the time of parking I purchased a ticket from the machine but when printed out with my car number plate on it there were two additional letters printed on the ticket, it is very clear that it is my car but they believe it cant be as it has the 2 additional digits. I have now received a solicitors letter basically, in my opinion more of a threat, stating pay or we go to court. I have read a great deal about these private parking people and it is really not my intention to pay the fine. I still have the parking ticket and a blind person could see that it was my car, it was there machine that printed the additional digits. What would you recommend?

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with your question today. I am reviewing it, please give me a moment.

Did you ever appeal the ticket?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I did but they rejected it.

Ok - did you appeal to POPLA?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have never made any further contact

Ok - if you refuse to pay they can issue proceedings.

It would then go before the Judge who decides whether the fee is payable.

In essence, this would be an additional appeal.

As such, the Judge can decide whether it is payable.

Based on what you have said, I think the Judge will find for you - it is common sense.

So you can refuse to pay and let a Judge decide.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Attached is my ticket My car number is ***** the first attempt at the machine rejected my coin, I cancelled the number and re-entered it, paid the fee and the ticket was printed as attached

Indeed. I think you will be fine.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.