How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 11586
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

Jamie-Law Assistant: Where are you located? It matters

This answer was rated:

HI Jamie-Law
Assistant: Where are you located? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Good morning I am a partner of a Residential Letting Agent in Farnham Surrey, Trueman Letting Company and we are being constantly harassed by a tenant that has had notice served on her to end the tenancy. During her tenancy she has taken photographs of my staff and has been very rude and slanderous and has been posting messages on friends and family face book pages, to this end we have reported this to the police and have a case reference number. We have this morning received further correspondence from her accusing us of not being members of any governing bodies even though she has been provided with our membership number with yourselves and a copy of our ARLA membership. She is accusing my staff of lying and of misrepresentation and I am in the process of going through our in house complaint procedure. Just to let you know that we took over this tenancy as the previous agent had a nervous breakdown because of this tenant. Am I obliged to keep responding to her accusing emails or not? we are at our wits end with this tenant please help!
Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Do you mean to the police?
Assistant: Anything else you want the solicitor to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so at this stage
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with your question today. I am reviewing it, please give me a moment.

What have the Police said please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The police have advised us that they are keeping correspondence on file at the moment and we are keeping them updated with all correspondence from this tenant as it comes into the office. They have offered to contact this lady and speak with her about her behaviour but as the tenancy is ending on Wednesday 18th April we have asked that they wait and hopefully she will cease her attacking correspondence once the tenancy has officially ended. I have attached the latest email for your information whereby she claims that we are not members of any governing bodies which we certainly are and she seems to know more about my business than I do but we have been dealing with this for over 6 months now and just needed some guidance. Many thanks, ***** *****

Ok - you can take a civil action.

You can seek an injunction to stop the harassment if the Police do not want to do anything.

You need to complete forms N1:

And N16a:

The Court will set the matter down for a hearing and decide whether to grant an injunction.

This is harassment as it is pursuing a course of conduct likely to cause alarm, harassment or distress.

If the tenant breaches the order then this is contempt of Court, which he can be warned, fined or sent to prison.

But based on what you have said, I think that you will get the order.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Jamie-Law and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you