Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I’m really hoping you can help my friend. He is a full time

Hi I’m really hoping you can help my friend.
He is a full time distance lorry driver & VERY careful with insurance etc. Last night he was pulled by police for no insurance which has really shocked us. We paid for a full year in November (I have receipt) & at no point were we informed that they were cancelling policy. We have had nothing in writing.
I have been trying to sort this out with the insurance company, & they have informed us they will not reinstate it. We are both horrified & exceptionally concerned as this affects his livelihood. What can we do please?

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with your question today. I am reviewing it, please give me a moment.

Did they say on what basis it had been cancelled?
Did the insurer say they had written to him?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
They say it was because he didn’t supply proof of address, but we have no record of that request & if we had it would have been acted on immediately. They say they sent emails but as a long distance driver access is limited, however he assured me he has received nothing

Ok - well he needs to get another policy.

If the Police take action then he can go to Court, plead guilty but argue special reasons.

That is special reasons not to endorse the licence.

His reasons are that he did not know about the cancellation.

If accepted then he can be convicted but given no sentence.

But the insurance company is entitled to cancel. If he disputes this then he can write and make a formal written complaint.

They will investigate the matter and report back. If he does not accept their decision he can then go to the Ombudsman.

They offer a free, independent service and can examine his complaint at: www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk

But this is what he can do.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you so much. I’m TRYING to get him to listen but he’s in total melt down & saying he’s throwing in his job as a result.
Thank you so much
Of course 5*

Indeed. Thanks and if I could ask you to press the 5 star button - thanks!