Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

I am asking a question on behalf of a family member. I was

Hello, I am asking a question on behalf of a family member. I was just wondering if an employer has the right to stop a mothers maternity pay if they move house? Because of the move it does mean they won't be able to go back and work at the employers company though.

Hello my name is***** am a solicitor and I am happy to help you today. Has your family member given them any notice that she will not return to work?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She told them 2 days ago but her maternity wasn't suppose to be up until July.

OK they cannot stop her statutory maternity pay so long as she met the normal qualifying criteria of working for them at 15 weeks before the expected week of child birth (which I assume she did from your question).

If she had any addition (company) maternity pay then they may, depending on the terms of the contract, stop that at the end of the notice period.

She should contact ACAS www.acas.org.uk to raise early conciliation on the matter and that will hopefully lead them to pay her what she is entitled to.

If it does not then she can raise a claim in the employment tribunal.

If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.