Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

My golf club has decided to increase the competition payment

My golf club has decided to increase the competition payment for the next two years to cover the cost of events in 2022.
There is an opt out clause for those who do not wish to make the additional contribution. Those who do not wish to contribute have to sign a form to state this. The form states that when entering a competition we will pay our usual fee plus the additional fee and will be reimbursed every 2 to 3 months.
Is it legal to charge me for something I have stated I do not want and then reimburse me at their will.
ThankyouAnn Wilton

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Is this a private members club?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
it is
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I do not want to call. I would prefer this method.
It is a private members club

No problem regarding the call. It seems a strange way to operate in taking the money and then reimbursing it. Have they said why they want to do it this way?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No. They have not. I think they po9ssibly thought all members would be happy with the idea but are now surprised at members response.

Ultimately the issue depends on rules of the clubs constitution which determines the 'contract' between you and the club and the authority it has over you in terms of payment and membership.

It is likely that the constitution will require you to comply otherwise your membership may be terminated but you need to look at the constitution/ bye laws to assess that.

If a number of you are unhappy then you should group together to raise a grievance. It seems a strange way to do it anyway as it is going to require more work on their part (administration of refunds) so I think it is likely you will be able to appeal to their common sense.

If you have any further questions please ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
there is nothing illegal about withholding money that I have contracted out of and only repaying it after 2 to 3 months.?
This has never happened in the club before and financial issues in the clubs articles only refer to the payment of annual subscriptions and the penalty for not paying on time.

no because you don't have to agree to it you can refuse to pay it.

They may revoke your membership but if lots of you are in the same position it is unlikely.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thankyou. I understand that but its about holding my and other members money for something we are not receiving and will not receive in the future.

Yes I understand that but it is not fraud or a criminal activity and private members clubs are free to do as they wish contractually. You can potentially argue it is in breach of your terms with them but from a practical point of view you are best off just asking for a meeting as a group with the chairperson to try to resolve it.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thankyou very much.

No problem. All the best with it. I do hope they will see sense as it seems a very odd way to run a club.