F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

If a tenant dies how do the executors have to vacate the

If a tenant dies how long do the executors have to vacate the flat?

Hello for clarification - are you the landlord or executors?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Executor

There is no statutory period and a private landlord will usually be more relaxed provided the rent continues to be paid.

If that’s what’s happening, the executor is under a duty to act in the best interest of the beneficiaries and it depends on what the rent is compared to the cost of storing the items and the cost of removing them. In my experience, when someone has died, rather than the house clearance actually raising any money, it invariably ends up having to be paid for therefore, there is absolutely no point in delaying it.

On the other hand, the local authority will want a property vacated within a 14 day period although they should not charge rent for that period.

Can I clarify anything else for you?

I’m happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

Please take a moment to look at the top right hand corner of the page and rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen. It’s important you use the rating service because that gives me credit. It doesn’t just give me a pat on the head! (Although there is an incentive scheme where the more five-star ratings I get, I do actually get a pat on the head! :-)) All you need to do is press Submit. Thank you.

If you still need any point clarifying, I will still reply because the thread does not close.

Best wishes.

FES.