Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I signed up to have my CV rewritten. After a 2 month wait, I

I signed up to have my CV rewritten. After a 2 month wait, I finally had a talk with the 'writer', who promised a 'first draft' four days later (because she was going on holiday). Of course, it did not arrive and so I chased it on her return. The document I got back was of a standard way below what one might expect (I would have rejected it had it landed on my desk) although, I appreciated that it was only a first draft. When I challengeed them about it I was told the writer had now left and I would have to start the process again with a new writer.I asked for my money back but have now been told that they won't make a refund because I had received that 'draft'. Of course, the fact is that they want me to go through the whole process again, which will involve a second 'first draft'Do I have any recourse?Scott Cowper

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

What are you ideally hoping to achieve?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ideally, I would like my money refunded as I believe the service they 'started' to provide was far below the standard expected. If not, I will write the money off but it leves a bad taste

How much did you pay? Please note I am in court today so may not be able to reply fully until later on thanks

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I can't recall precisely (I am away from home) but it was several hundred pounds, as it was supposedly, a premium service that included rewriting LinkedIn profile etc. I'd have probably been more satisfied just getting one of the £99 services, as things have turned out
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No real urgency by the way. Please do focus on your court dealings

Many thanks for your patience. Under consumer laws (the Consumer Rights Act 2015) you have the right to expect a service to be performed with reasonable care and skill. Additionally, the service must be performed within a reasonable time (unless a specific time line has been agreed).

If the service does not conform to these conditions, the consumer’s rights are:

(a) the right to require repeat performance

(b) the right to a price reduction

So in the circumstances you will most likely be able to seek one of the above and allow them to either get this right the second time round and also getting a price reduction for the service having gone over a reasonable time as required by law. Therefore, a full refund may not be possible unless they agree to it, but providing the services again and a reduction in price from what you have already paid.

I trust this has answered your query. Please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars above - this is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you still need me to clarify anything else, please reply on here and I will assist as best as I can. Thank you