Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

We have just sold a deceased family members house and the

We have just sold a deceased family members house and the money has been exchanged... With in 48hrs We have had a message that the buyers have had to call out a locksmith to replace the locks on the front door and the conservatory and asked us to pay £400...before the house had to be sold and right up to the last day we were there taking things out the locks worked perfectly fine...where do we stand?
Mr Wright

Hi Mrs Wright, thanks for your enquiry. On what basis is the Buyer needing to replace the locks? Al

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Apparently they cudnt get them to work properly and couldnt get in and out properly
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
According to the msg the mechanism had broken and the conservatory had to be forced
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
They replaced the front door lock as well but that has been deducted from the invoice sent... Not sure why they replaced that lock as no reason given

Thanks for your reply.

A Buyer takes the property in the condition it was on the day Contracts were exchanged, so unless you "damaged" the locks at some point between the exchange and completion day, you have absolutely nothing to worry about. I note you were of course at the property up to the date of completion, but if you did not damage the locks, I would tell the Buyer that you are not willing, and nor are you responsible, for contributing towards their locksmith charges.

It sounds to me that they are just trying it on!

Does that assist? Al

If so, I would be grateful if you could rate my answer in the top right hand corner of your screen. Thanks Al

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thats very helpful... I appreciate your help... Thank you

Thanks! I'm afraid some Buyers do try it on and you are free to ignore their request!