How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10808
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

How can I find out if my partner has served a Severance on

This answer was rated:

How can I find out if my partner has served a Severance on me. We are not married but have been co habiting for over 20 years. We have the property in shared tenants not in common? But wondering if he changed it as we had a separation for a year, so I am not aware of any notice being served but did not live there. He tells me he has not changed it but found his word untrustworthy of late. I just need to know where I stand with all this.

Hi, you need to apply for a copy of your Land Registry Deeds, called "Official Copies", which you can do online by logging onto the Land Registry website- details here

If there is a Restriction in the Proprietorship Register with the following wording, then you hold the property as Tenants in common, meaning that you both own a separate share in the property, which share can be left to a third party in your Will.

"No disposition by a sole proprietor of the registered estate (except a trust corporation) under which capital money arises is to be registered unless authorised by an order of the court".

If there is no Restriction, then you hold the property as Joint tenants, meaning that the property would automatically pass to the survivor on the first death.

I hope this answers your question. If so, I would be grateful if you could rate my answer in the top right hand corner of your screen.

Kind Regards Al

Aston Lawyer and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you