Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

How can I find out if my partner has served a Severance on

How can I find out if my partner has served a Severance on me. We are not married but have been co habiting for over 20 years. We have the property in shared tenants not in common? But wondering if he changed it as we had a separation for a year, so I am not aware of any notice being served but did not live there. He tells me he has not changed it but found his word untrustworthy of late. I just need to know where I stand with all this.

Hi, you need to apply for a copy of your Land Registry Deeds, called "Official Copies", which you can do online by logging onto the Land Registry website- details here https://www.gov.uk/guidance/land-registry-portal-how-to-request-official-copies

If there is a Restriction in the Proprietorship Register with the following wording, then you hold the property as Tenants in common, meaning that you both own a separate share in the property, which share can be left to a third party in your Will.

"No disposition by a sole proprietor of the registered estate (except a trust corporation) under which capital money arises is to be registered unless authorised by an order of the court".

If there is no Restriction, then you hold the property as Joint tenants, meaning that the property would automatically pass to the survivor on the first death.

I hope this answers your question. If so, I would be grateful if you could rate my answer in the top right hand corner of your screen.

Kind Regards Al