ivorylounge
ivorylounge,
Experience:  Barrister at Self Employed Barrister
27487359

I signed up as a guarantor for my brother to rent a property

I signed up as a guarantor for my brother to rent a property a year ago, it is now a rolling contract (I think) I believe I am still guarantor but am no longer working as was made redundant. My question is where does this leave me if he is unable to pay as I won't be in any financial position to assist & it is causing me a lot of sleepless nights
If it is a rolling contract then it is correct that you remain as the guarantor and potentially liable. I would be minded to approach the landlord and on the basis that there has not been an issue for a year or so you be released from your guarantee. Happy to discuss and please rate positive
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
His rent had to be paid direct from wages as there was a time he was late paying one month, this was all arranged with the land Lord easily as they didn't want to lose him as a tenant but it worries me a little that this might not help my situation
This is I’m afraid the only option you have
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok thank you, ***** ***** them & see what they say