How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ivorylounge Your Own Question
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34675
Experience:  Barrister at Self Employed Barrister
Type Your Law Question Here...
ivorylounge is online now

I signed up as a guarantor for my brother to rent a property

This answer was rated:

I signed up as a guarantor for my brother to rent a property a year ago, it is now a rolling contract (I think) I believe I am still guarantor but am no longer working as was made redundant. My question is where does this leave me if he is unable to pay as I won't be in any financial position to assist & it is causing me a lot of sleepless nights
If it is a rolling contract then it is correct that you remain as the guarantor and potentially liable. I would be minded to approach the landlord and on the basis that there has not been an issue for a year or so you be released from your guarantee. Happy to discuss and please rate positive
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
His rent had to be paid direct from wages as there was a time he was late paying one month, this was all arranged with the land Lord easily as they didn't want to lose him as a tenant but it worries me a little that this might not help my situation
This is I’m afraid the only option you have
ivorylounge and 5 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok thank you, ***** ***** them & see what they say