Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I have been in my opinion harassed in the UK and Thailand by

I have been in my opinion harassed in the UK and Thailand by a British citizen. I am also British. Can I go to the small claims court in the UK as I want to make a civil claim for £30,000?

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with your question today. I am reviewing it, please give me a moment.

It is not a small claim. The limit for that is £10,000. If you want to claim more then you can, but you will need to be represented as if you lose, you would be liable for costs of the other side.

You need to write and set out your losses and request compensation within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not compensate you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 http://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/hmctsformfinder/n1-eng.pdf and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value, you would need representation for trial.

More than this you need to be represented. You can find a public access Barrister at:

www.clerksroomdirect.com

www.mybarrister.co.uk

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.