12826847

I need a little assistance. I've been pulled over by the

Hello there, I need a little assistance. I've been pulled over by the Police for speeding. I was doing 70mph in a 50mph zone. The police have sent me a 'conditional letter of fixed penalty'. Either I can pay the fine of £100 plus accept 3 points on my license within 28 days, or go to court. The officer at the scene said that I might be offered a speed awareness course, but that was not offered here. I would like to avoid getting any points on my license. Could you help me understand the consequences of going to court? Would I be likely to lose in this case? What are the costs?

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

I wouldn't even think of going to court here.

I don't know why they didn't offer the speed awareness course. It is probably the speed is too high proportion at the limit.

If you go to court though you are at risk of more than three points and much higher costs as this falls just outside of the sentencing bracket for three points.

Now you may be lucky and they may forget summons you. That does often happen. The courts are in chaos. However you need to understand that you are taking a risk.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No, that's all the information I require. Thank you for your help today.