How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 53697
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I was awarded a judgement but my solicitor failed to

This answer was rated:

I was awarded a judgement but my solicitor failed to represent me professionally and sued only in salon name subsequently therapist closed business down and reopened in new name to avoid paying me
Assistant: Where are you located? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Southport England
Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I’ve reported to legal ombudsman but therapist wants to sue me for harassment
Assistant: Anything else you want the solicitor to know before I connect you?
Customer: Can I take therapist to court in her name

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Was your contract with the salon?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Sharon accepted responsibility

was she self employed? Also what was the claim for?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It was her business, it was a slimming treatment, I got 3 Rd degree burns and frost bite , the solicitor told me he was pursuing in salon name and her name but on his admission he failed to sue in her name

When did the incident happen?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
2012 judgement awarded in 2015

I see. You are too late to sue now I’m afraid. This would have been a personal injury claim and there is a 3-year time limit from the date of injury to make a claim against the party in the wrong. So a claim should have been made by 2015 at the latest. You are legally out of time to make a claim against her personally now.

The only thing you may potentially consider is a professional negligence claim against the solicitor and hope that either you succeed, or he pays out before any hearing, just to settle with you. That is the only possible claim you have now, there is no point in going after the therapist any longer.

Also note that negligence claims have 6 year time limits, so it is 6 years from his failure, which means it starts to count from the date he made the claim and failed to include her.

I trust this has answered your query. Please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars above - this is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you still need me to clarify anything else, please reply on here and I will assist as best as I can. Thank you

Ben Jones and 4 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok thank you

you are welcome and all the best