Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

I moved into a council house in 1981 with Washngton

I moved into a council house in 1981 with Washngton Corporation and had numerous reasons to call for repairs to my roof. In 1997 I purchased the property and have had reason to call out roof repairers several times. However external work was done but no-one will go into the roof space claiming asbestos is too dangerous Once again I need roof repairs but who is responsible for the removal of the asbestos - Washington Corporation is now defuncked - I have contacted Gentoo who have taken over repairs but they deny responsibilty - who is responsible ?

Hi, thanks for your enquiry.

I am afraid to say that as you now own the property, you and you alone are responsible for getting the asbestos removed. This is because, you agreed to take the property in its existing condition at the time of your purchase and the Seller has no liability from the date you completed your purchase.

I am sorry this is not the answer you were looking for.

If I have answered your question, I would be grateful if you could rate my answer in the top right hand corner of your screen.

Kind Regards

Al