How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 9845
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

Robertson. I took an insurance policy out for my husband and

This answer was rated:

Hi my name is Ca***** *****on. I took an insurance policy out for my husband and myself for 16yrs to cover our mortgage. I tried to cancel this 27 months ago to be told it was written in the contract that I was tied in for 4 yrs. I received a call today from the broker that sold me the insurance and they said that they were now not allowed to tie people in on insurance policy anymore and wanted me to change my insurance policy now to something better. Were they allowed to tie you in with a contract for a life insurance policy as I have payed over £3000 in the last 30 months.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with your question today. I am reviewing it, please give me a moment.

What is it you want to know about this today please?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I would like to know if for the last 30 months I have payed this and I didn’t have to and if I can get some of my money back as they told me I was tied in and couldn’t cancel so kept paying it as I couldn’t afford the exit fee.

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value, you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Was it illegal for them to hold me on a 4 yr contact for life insurance.

No. They can not bind you. You can claim it back.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
That’s great. Thank you so much.

All the best. If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today, by clicking on the 5 stars or happy face at the top of the screen, otherwise the site does not pay me for the time spent with you today. It is also an important part of the online process. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost. Thank you in advance and good luck!

Jamie-Law and other Law Specialists are ready to help you