How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 53705
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I currently work with a contract of 30hrs weekly as a night

This answer was rated:

Hi I currently work with a contract of 30hrs weekly as a night duty manager, I ve been working on this position from December 2016, my weekly rota is Saturday,Sunday and Monday night from 22.00 to 8.00, 10hours shift. I checked the law and for what I understood is illegal to work 10 hours consecutive in the night and I also never received an health assessment and I also notice that by law we should receive an health assessment every 3 months, now my health is getting affected by anxiety and panic attack since I work in the night, I just want to know if I sue them I am able to get a compensation because I believe its not fair, thanks

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Have you approached the employer over this?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hello Ben, no yet
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
But I believe such a big company should be aware of the laws

The employer may indeed be breaking the law here by asking you to work more than an average of 8 hours during the night and for not offering you a health assessment. Whilst you cannot easily make a claim simply to get compensation, you can report them to the Health & Safety Executive, who deals with such issues, and they can investigate and penalise the employer.

If you wanted to make a claim you would have to show that you have suffered a personal injury as a result of their actions. You would really need to involve specialist personal injury lawyers to do this and there are risks in making such a claim. Still, many such lawyers can offer you a free initial consultation and can potentially take on your case on a no win no fee basis.

The other option for you is to eventually leave if the employer has not resolved things. If you are forced to leave, you can then claim constructive dismissal and pursue them for loss of earnings resulting from you having to leave your job.

I trust this has answered your query. Please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars above - this is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you still need me to clarify anything else, please reply on here and I will assist as best as I can. Thank you

Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you