Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I am developing an app for mobile which has a live-streaming

I am developing an app for mobile which has a live-streaming feature. The users will host the live-streams and broadcast them to other users. Are we allowed to play background music in the live-streams and what licensing would we need, if any?

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with your question today. I am reviewing it, please give me a moment.

You can. But you would need a PRS and PPL licence

You can get these at:

https://www.prsformusic.com/

http://www.ppluk.com/

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi, thanks. However I have already contacted PPL UK and this was their response"Unfortunately, this isn't something that PPL would be able to license, as it hasn't been granted the necessary rights to do so by its members. I would recommend obtaining independent legal advice as to the permissions you may need for the inclusion of recorded music in this way, as it is most likely that it will need to be licensed in some form."

Then you would only need to speak to PRS

But any music played will need to be licenced.

Then you only need a PRS licence.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
sure. I will speak to PRS

Can I clarify anything else for you?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No thats fine thanks

Great