12826847

Can you get in to trouble discussing fantasies about illegal

Can you get in to trouble discussing fantasies about illegal activities?
Assistant: Where are you located? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: UK
Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Yes
Assistant: Anything else you want the solicitor to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Would you like to explain exactly what you mean by this please

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I was discussing illegal sexual fantasies on a phone line. All made up stories and discussion. None of which ever took place. Can I get into trouble for that?

It depends. Have you presented it as true?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I don’t remember it was a while ago

It depends what you said. If it is really outrageous then there are offences under the communications legislation.

Also, it depends whether or not it is accepted as true. I realise that you say that it was a fantasy but if you said on the phone that it was true then they are free to believe that.

Sexual fantasies on sex lines though and asked all uncommon and usually the people who man these phones are of a stoical disposition. Therefore they are unlikely to make a report unless you are talking about literally killing somebody or sex with children.