Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

Work started on kitchen installation on 5 June 2017, only

Work started on kitchen installation on 5 June 2017, only completed on 22 March 2018. Most delays due to shortage of units and faulty units as well as poor installer. How much compensation should we seek? Thanks

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

What was the total value of the kitchen installation?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
After discount we paid £21,319.12

Were you given a time frame at the outset?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
about 1 week for kitchen fitting and 7-10 days thereafter for worktops. All in all approximately 3 weeks.

Thank you. When a person enters into a contract for work and materials, where the main focus is labour and skill, the Consumer Rights Act 2015 says that the work must be finished within a reasonable time (unless a specific time frame has been agreed)

In addition, any information exchanged in communications between the parties, whether written or verbal, is binding if the consumer relies on it. This will include quotations and any promises about timescales or the results to be achieved.

If there are problems with any of the above, the customer will have certain rights and in the event of delays, if the work has substantially gone over the agreed schedule or not been performed within a reasonable time, you can also ask for a price reduction to cover any financial losses or inconvenience caused as a result. Exactly how much you can ask for is very difficult to say as there are no specific guidelines in law which details any levels of compensation and generally it is for the courts to decide that. Normally a 5-10% discount is normal, but considering how long yours has gone on for, compared to the promised timeline, you should push for more, perhaps in the 20% mark or similar. In the end, you cannot force them to accept anything and if you cannot reach an agreement you would have to let the courts decide.

I trust this has answered your query. Please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars above - this is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you still need me to clarify anything else, please reply on here and I will assist as best as I can. Thank you