Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I done some work as a consultant for a company which I

I done some work as a consultant for a company which I invoiced for my time, the director approved it and paid me, the shareholder is now asking for it back, where do I stand?

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Why is he asking for it back?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hello, I’m not sure, he said the director didn’t tell him I was working for them, but I had spoken to him so he was aware that I was doing work, and that I’m not entitled to the money that I had earnt
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The shareholder is in China and this is a U.K. sales office, I fulfilled everything the director of the U.K. company asked of me i them submitted my invoice which he approved and paid.

SO what is he doing now, is he claiming against you or just asking you for repayment?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He’s currently just asking for me to repay it back, I’ve worked 15 hour days 7 days a week for the last 4 months, I done everything I was asked to do. I just don’t know where I stand with it all

It is difficult to say what your rights are without actually knowing why he thinks you should not have been paid. Maybe he disagrees with the work you did and that it was not necessarily or not of satisfactory quality, but if it was given to you by a director then the shareholder cannot overrule that and ask for the money back after the event.

For now you should ask for specific details of why he is making such requests and do not be bullied into repaying anything. If he wants to force you to pay him back, let him do the hard work and to be honest the only way it can happen is if he takes you to court and win. He would need to prove this was equitable and necessary, and that can be difficult. Perhaps you should call his bluff, although it is up to you if you wanted to do that. It may be the best way to deal with it at this early stage though.

I trust this has answered your query. Please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars above - this is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you still need me to clarify anything else, please reply on here and I will assist as best as I can. Thank you

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you very much I did think along those lines but wanted to clarify that, thank you again

you are most welcome