Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I have a 6 months tenancy agreement renting a flat which

I have a 6 months tenancy agreement renting a flat which expired on 27 February 2018. The landlord has not granted another lease or communicated with me. I am still paying rent each month. I want to move out by the 27 May 2018. Can I give just one month's notice or am I required to give more?

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with your question today. I am reviewing it, please give me a moment.

Yes. You are on what is called a periodic tenancy, a monthly rolling tenancy.

You can give notice on 27 April to move out on 27 May.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you.As the landlord's agents are likely to come at me with all guns blazing (and hold £800 as deposit), what form should the notice take. Is there any set format. Should I withhold the last month's rent as they have my deposit. If I have a periodic tenancy rather than a tenancy at will, are you sure I only have to give one months' notice.

It does not need to say anything except you are giving notice.

You should not withhold last month rent. You need to pay it and then get your deposit back.

Yes to a month. You have a monthly rolling contract.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you very much. Problem sorted! Only one other thing - on what part of the law am I reliant. The '54 Act?

Housing Act 1998

Does that assist?

1988. Typo!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you. Excellent. Wish all matters legal were as simple! Good fortune to you. Best Regards

And you.