Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

We are a NHS GP practice and we have received an invoice

We are a NHS GP practice and we have received an invoice from a GP Surveyors which includes a travel fee from their offices and back for around £1500. At no stage was I advised that fees would include travel. It stated Visit and inspection at a hour rate. Could you please advise if company has a right to insist that we pay for the travel

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

What proportion of the total amount is for travel?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Total billed for 11 hours of work at £195+vat. 7 hours of the 11 hours was for travel

OK, thank you for your response and for the phone call request. I am not available to talk at this present time but leave it with me for now and I will review the relevant information and laws and get back to you at the earliest opportunity. There is no need to wait here as you will receive an email when I have responded. Also, please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you.

Hi there, legally there is nothing that specifically says you must pay them for that travelling time. Usually, such charges would have had to be negotiated in advance for you to be bound by them. If you only engaged them to undertake surveying work at an hourly rate, then it would be reasonable for you to expect to have to pay only for that and if they wanted to add on extra charges they should have told you in advance. Falling to do so could make it somewhat difficult for them to claim these from you now. As they have only made a request for payment so far, you do not have to pay it if you did not agree with it. You can pay the remainder of the invoice and leave out the travel charges. If they wanted to challenge you over this it is up to them to do so and the only way to make you pay is to go to the small claims court and win. They may never do this and even if they did and won, you would only have to pay these fees and the court costs, which won’t be very high – the legal fees they will have to pay themselves.